Ten reasons to shop local
Help support your local community by spending your money in it, shop local so that it can thrive and grow and offer you better services and options.
The positive impact of living in a thriving community helps you and your children enjoy the buzz of success, of feeling that all things are possible near home, where people have jobs and self respect, where members of the community work together to grow it for the benefit of all the residents. It may seem easier to shop online or go away for the day to shop, think about how that affects us all. Go out of your way if you have to, to spend locally, encourage local retailers to adopt some element of eCommerce, to satisfy your needs or the needs of your family. Local traders may have to adopt a better online attitude, but we need to adopt a better offline one. Together we are better.
- Your community needs your spend in order to grow and survive
- The higher the local spend the more jobs are created and saved
- Having lots of local businesses encourages healthy competition making them better and better
- The higher spend creates more local tax income and give us a stronger voice with legislators, reducing rates or costs per square foot and improving services
- Entrepreneurs survive the early years and then create potential when they are encouraged by your purchases
- A positive landscape for creatives and entrepreneurs allows members of the community live their dream at home, building their own small enterprise.
- Some of the smallest local enterprises offer the best presents, unique, unusual, quirky or personalised
- Buying local produce avoids shipping costs and reduces your carbon footprint
- Local businesses keep their profits in the community which benefits us all, over and over again. Every €100 spent by you gets spent again and again
- Shopping locally allows us get advice from someone who is an expert, who has years of experience, whether it is Clare in the ladies clothes shop or Kerry in the cake shop, Roy in the restaurant or Paddy in the printers. These people have the experience and being local, they want to make sure that you are happy and recommend them. They also want to keep their jobs and serve in their local Community, doing what they like doing
Local Direct Investment – vote with your wallet
The last recession reduced spending dramatically and as a result we lost jobs and saw many community members leave to get jobs elsewhere, uprooting their family and having to start all over again. This is very hard and saps self confidence, whilst leaving a community bereft of talent. By keeping the money in the community, we help nurture it and make it a better place to live, to bring up children and foster an air of positivity. Whether your community is a village or a town or a village within a town, encourage spending locally and think of it as local direct investment. This is your opportunity to make your village a better place to live – how will you vote ?
Together we are better. #Lovetalkingbusiness