Construction Industry Web Design
Why create a good Construction portfolio website?
Construction Industry Website Design advice for Builders. Six good reasons include:
1. To look professional when someone Googles your building firm (and they do) – so showcase your work. You would make a point of looking professional on a building site, so why not on the web?
2. To answer commonly asked questions. It would save a lot of time for your team.
3. To attract a certain type of construction client or business and to put off certain types of unwanted client construction work.
4. To allow potential building clients send you an enquiry 24/7 through the website.
5. To avoid losing work from existing clients who Google your name and find a different building firm, who fits the bill.
6. Attract high quality staff who are searching for a suitable builder. How do you look when these people search for builders websites
When you look at your website, are you happy with it, proud of it? Does it really say what you want to say and look the way you think shows off your best construction work?
Your website is more than a basic tool, so do research where you invest. You have to learn how to use it to good effect or have someone competent do it for you or with you, by outsourcing some of the work, so add that resource to your web design plan. There are various website design platform options and each one comes with challenges and opportunities, costs and returns on any investment. Your web presence is a lot more than just your website.
Your work probably comes in from referrals and word of mouth, which is great, but can be inconsistent. And maybe you get too many of the sort of enquiries you do NOT really want. A good web presence will bring in the type of building enquiry that you DO want, if you get the foundations right.
We have been doing this successfully for over 20 years, so have a complimentary 30 minute consultation about Construction Industry Web Design with us, no obligation, just to see what you need for your particular building firm. Call Michael direct 0n 086 2510117 now.
Meantime, if you have some time and want to read more, below we include 10 guidelines, 10 questions, 10 tips and some general advice, to help you get it right first time, to save a lot of your valuable time. You would not buld a house without plans, so this is pretty much the same. Talk to an experienced web design architect with an impressive website portfolio.
10 Guidelines for planning & layout of good construction industry web design
1. CMS – Get a website that is built on a CMS Content Management System, which makes it easy to edit. Content is king, it will decide your success on the net, so create it, add it, curate it and make yourself stand out as an authority on construction matters. You are the best person to produce good content, do not leave its creation to someone else, unless they are competent.
Get a website that is Modular, like a modular home, so that you can move elements around without needing a developer again. For example, add or move a scrolling ‘Testimonials module’ on the Home page yourself or move it to your ‘About’ page.
3. Open Source
Use a platform such as WordPress that is open source and allows you to move from one web partner to another. Avoid a one man band, someone who offers to be everything, planner, designer, developer, digital marketer. How many professional architects practices or builders have just one person employed to do everything?
4. Design Theme
You could get a website that is theme based, so that you can change the whole design theme without having to create a new website. Also, this makes it easier for you to move to a new web partner – avoid any basic HTML developers who have to make every code change for you – at a price, in time delay and money. The CIF is the Irish construction industry’s representative body and it makes some suggestions around web design, as does IBEC, but they are not experts in this area. They do invest in Digital Marketing.
5. Custom Design
If you want to look well, then plan your branding, colours, content and CTAs Calls To Action before or when talking to a professional web design agency. If how you look online is important to you to build your brand. Think Bennett, Lagan, BAM, JJ Rhatigan or PJ Hegarty
Make the website Navigation simple, easy to find pages, intuitive, stand out and logically show what you specialise in, services such as residential, industrial, commercial or community and experience or qualifications.
Show off your knowledge, experience and useful information from the industry, maybe articles about green energy or renewables, council guidelines or trends. Try Guest Blogging or answering questions in forums !
8. Social integration
Tie in all Blogging, Social Media and Advertising to your website content and draw people to the site – they might just connect with you by asking a question. It also helps you monitor all your web output, so you have more control over what gets seen. You can to some point dictate what people see when they search your name.
Bear in mind a website, like a car or a house, has to be maintained and updated. It needs constant attention, security updates & patches, cleaning, plugins, software updates, apps updates and useful add-ons – but most of all useful helpful content or advice to engage with visitors, to help promote your practice.
For a spend in Year 1 for the design, branding, photography, CMS website, advertising, digital marketing etc and then do a new budget for year 2 for building on that platform, adding projects. The higher the spend the higher and faster the return – GUARANTEED (if done well)!
Three Quick Takeaways for Construction Industry Website Design:
1. Get good web partners, pay them to be supportive – establish an ongoing relationship in the same way you do with your Accountant or other key suppliers. It is outsourced qualified labour, ready to support you when you need help.
2. Treat this website design project like opening a new office or showroom. How much would that cost ? How much attention would you give it ? Build what you need rather than buy something off the shelf at a set price.
3. Most web agencies are not good at MultiTasking. Chances are you need a 1. Domain Registrar, 2. Hosting Company, 3. Web Graphic Designer, 4. Web Developer and 5. Digital Marketer.
The good news is – a good website or web presence can promote your construction company, show your professionalism, showcase your building work, get you found in search, answer frequently asked questions and save you time.
Now you know the brief ! What is your next step ? Have a no obligation 30 minute discussion with us to get some direction on your specific requirements.
10 good opening questions to consider before designing a website for your building firm:
What does a good CMS Builders Website Design Cost?
CMS Business Website Design Costs for a Construction Firm
From €250 to €350 per page up depending on which modules are required – Get a Free quote now. Every website project is different, so talk to us about yours, so that we can give you a proper quote.
- Content Management System, Initial Content Entry for initial 10 or so pages, (add unlimited pages yourself free), Attachment Management, Image Gallery, SEO Tools, Google Maps, YouTube, Preview Mode, Query Form, Video Tutorial, Website Statistics and Manual
- Business Website Design Template subject to choice of you the Client or your website designer
- Monthly Support & Maintenance Options if required: Agree a monthly support plan to cover website updates, server support, and any edit requests etc or just pay the Ad Hoc hourly rate. Monthly Support
- We work with your budget and your cash flow #gettingbusinessonline
Optional Business Website items or add ons offered
- Content Creation – do you want us to write it for you
- Content editing – can you edit your own text
- SEF – making pages Search Engine Friendly
- Image – Producing, sizing, adding to website
- Downloads – any pdfs, guides, ebooks etc
- Google Map – adding location pins
- YouTube Video – adding and optimising video
- Google Analytics – set up reporting in Dashboard
- Google My Business – We can set this up or optimise it for you
If required, we can also refer Clients to industry Specialised Photographers or videographers. Good ‘Independent’ honest advice for you, is our way of doing things – no exceptions.
How long will the project take?
The planning takes one week. The design usually takes two weeks, plus any delay due to revisions at your end. The Development takes two weeks from the time we receive your website content, written and photographic. Then a week to optimise and test, so usually between 4 to 8 weeks.
Could you please clarify who will be doing the work?
Our own team based here in Ireland, mainly Donegal. We do not offshore our work The developers and project managers are team members on the web design agency payroll. The designers are all local and hired per project, as they all have different styles. We match the right graphic designer with your project. All website are custom designed for you individually. We do not even offshore SEO, as our SEOs are also on the staff.
Will it be responsive and optimised for mobile viewing?
Yes, we actually design for mobile first viewing and then make desktop work too. Mobile page load speed is very important, especially since Google introduced Web Core Vitals, as an important ranking factor since May 2021.
How many pages do you need?
This depends on how many services you want to promote. It could be as low as 5 and as high as you like or need. How may financial advice services do you offer? Add Home, About, Contact and News
Who provides the written content and photos for the website?
You do. We can get written content done for you by a writer. And we can buy photos for you too if you need them. However when it comes to Financial Advice, you are the expert.
Where will my website be hosted?
We do not sell or resell hosting. It is too important to be used as a way of making a little side profit. We recommend suitable WordPress hosting for your specic WordPress requirements. The hosting, like your domain name, should be in your name and on your credit card – much like the deeds of your house.
Do we need a blog?
No, you do not. However we often recommend having one. This is to allow you add supporting content for your main constructionnservice pages. If you have a service page called Passive House Build, then why not write a supporting blog article about what is required to get Passive House status. Or what are the typical charges are in relation to fulfilling Passive House criteria.
Will we be able to update our new website after it is delivered?
Yes, absolutely. We will set you up as a User. And we will provide you with a Website User Manual. Plus you can book training with us as often as required. The website is a Content Management System and is designed to allow you add, edit or delete content, such as constructions projects.
Do you offer any kind of guarantees or warranty on your work?
Yes. Unusually for our industry, we do in fact stand over our work. We agree targets. We even offer money back because we only take on projects where we know we can add value to builders or construction firms. We have never had to give any form of warranty refund. And why not talk to Bert or Fintan or any of our clients.
Builders website design – options for a good construction website
Some Construction firms will want:
1. Starter site a simple professional looking site with about 5 pages as a basic web presence or digital postcard with contact details and general services listed on one page.
Others will want
2. Business website with Portfolio – to expand on the construction services offered in more detail, to attract more visitors, to educate them, answer questions, explain terminology, to filter them and engage with them, to use digital marketing to grow enquiries. Perhaps get bigger projects. We list lots of tips here to help you plan what you need and avoid the pitfalls – contact us any time for a personal 30 minute complimentary consultation
Builders website design – 10 tips on how to use the web well
10 Reasons to get a professional web presence and a competent team of web design agency.
You make a point of looking professional in print or on site, so why not do the same online?
Most people are timid about approaching a high end construction firm and they are afraid of costs.
1. Look professional – if someone finds your website you want it to reflect the real you whatever that may be. You can dictate how people see you rather than leaving it in the lap of Google search results. You can even look friendly, inviting and agreeable, at least on the web 🙂
2. Save team time – answer common questions on your website and save a lot of phone calls that are time consuming and repetitive. Invite questions and if you get some with any frequency then answer them on the website too.
3. Spell it out – ensure that the firm’s policy is adhered to by having your enquiries or questions answered the way you want them to be answered, rather than having team members speak off the cuff when the phone goes
4. Make a statement – by using your website to record and promote your policies and standards, terms and conditions – this will help ensure that your team are aware of them too, especially if you have any HR issues around misunderstanding of policies
5. Engage visitors – add value by offering useful information such as standard building costs for any normal construction related expenses (not necessarily your fee structure) or how much a planning application costs.
6. Help – let people find you and contact by having your correct full address, postal code, telephone number, email and functioning Contact Form
7. Provide downloadable forms – on your website as PDFs to save on postage and speed up delivery as well as providing a useful service.
8. Social – Integrate all your social platforms, your various publications, statement or comments, by linking your accounts to your website including LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
9. Blog – use your blog to post news about you, your services, your industry news or your activities in the community
10. Security – ensure that your domain name and hosting is in your name on your credit card
Professional Web Services for Builders – useful ballpark estimates below as a guideline for Construction Industry Web Design only.
|CMS Content Management System||Y||Y||Y|
|Page Builder with Drag n Drop||Y||Y||Y|
|Support||email 72 hours||email 48 hours||email 24 hours|
|Hours in for Senior Developer||30||50||POA|
|Book Now||Book Now||Book Now|