eMail Signatures Tips
Every email is an advert. If it gets opened and read to the bottom, you want to connect somehow with your signature. Encourage someone to connect with you or ask a question.
1. Corporate look – Make sure that the person who creates the signature is given that responsibility an dthis signature is used by every member of staff, rather than having a
lot of variance. No DIY.
2. Include Disclaimers
This is generally receommended and is a legal requirement for some, suchg as Financial Advisers
3. Formatting – have the signature created in way that allows it deliver when sent, so no Microsoft Word. Use html longhand and CSS if you can.
4. Width, Height and general layout
Keep the width down below 650 px, so that the signature can be seen when received – test it out on different devices
5. Do Use Tables
Use tables in layout an dyou can make the lines invisible. It allows people edit specific cells such as Tel or email
6. KISS – Keep it Simple
Have the relevant details, but this is not a book or a Gallery so do not get carried away.
7. No Bullets
They do not render well
8. No animation
It will not deliver anyway and could get your email blocked
9. No video
A signature is not a movie
10. Use Jpegs
Or maybe GIFS, but no PNGs. Size all images in html and make their size suit the signature, not too big.
11. Reply Signature
This can be smaller than a “Main” Signature.
12. Alt Text
Always add Alt Text description in every image, even Social Icons – you can use Like us on Facebook or Join us in Twitter etc
Hid them or shrten them with bit.ly. Maybe have a landing page to gauge success
14. Make It Social
Social media is a must, so use your signature to connect when emailing, by adding social media links for Twitter Follow or Facebook Share in a click.
15. Try tweaking th esigneture, do A/B testing if you can and maybe add in an offer from time to time to see if anyone notices. Use the results in your blog
16. Add Logos or Icons that show your Qualifications or Afiliations to professional bodies, even the local Chamber or BNI
17. Add a CTA a Call to Action, such as Get a FREE Quote or a 10% Discount off next purchase
18. Include mobile
19. Include your short Mission Statement if you can
20. Copy and paste your signature in to Notepad to se what it looks like without any images – such as this